The Honolulu Star Advertiser on Sunday called out Cayetano’s selective use of old emails from his litigation to stop rail, saying Cayetano’s rail tactics are a “disservice” to the public. The editorial led off with: “For all his professed concern for the taxpayer in his fight against the planned rail system, former Gov. Ben Cayetano is not serving the public interest with his latest tactic of cherry-picking through old communications in his effort to turn public opinion against the project — and to boost his own candidacy for mayor.”
The editorial goes on to observe, “Cayetano’s motivations are clear enough: As a candidate running on an anti-rail platform, he is trying to spin facts about the rail project in the way that best serves his political goals.”
The editorial notes that the old emails do not reflect the current view of the FTA, which last week released a written statement underscoring the agency’s support of the project and a “much improved federal partnership with the City of Honolulu and State of Hawaii over the last several years.” “The Federal Transit Administration believes that this project will bring much-needed relief from the suffocating congestion on H-1 and provide a real transportation alternative for the people of Oahu when gas prices rise,” the statement continued.
This support was reinforced Thursday in testimony by U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, who said the Obama administration is “committed to the project,” which he further characterized as “important.”
As the Star Advertiser says, “That certainly seems more relevant than emails going back six years.”
The editorial concludes, “Honolulu residents, and voters in the mayoral election, deserve better.”
Subscribers can read the editorial here: